Wednesday, August 5, 2026

June 2026 (part 1)

I'm back and never more behind schedule, but the grind continues and the cool songs don't stop. Here are some thoughts on ten cool songs I heard in June.

Hell Trash - “I Know You’re Wrong”
Friends of the blog Hell Trash return, channelling the spirit of We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes-era Death Cab For Cutie to meditate on personal and global despair and then play an awesome guitar solo.



Anysia Kym & Tony Seltzer - “To Death (Remix) (ft. 454)”
I’m absolutely loving the collection of reworks of Anysia Kym’s 2025 LP Purity. One of my favorite tracks on there is a remix of album opener “To Death,” which adds a killer guest verse from weirdo rapper 454.




Wishy - “Lovesick”
In this house we write up the new Wishy song every time there’s a new Wishy song. Can’t wait for the new Wishy LP, hate that it’s not out until October.


Noah Roth & Westmoreland - “Could I? (Little Star) (feat. Lilly Miller)”
Look, I didn’t plan on writing up two Hell Trash adjacent tracks in one post, but the band’s core duo of Noah and Rowan Roth also play on really nice new EP alongside Seattle’s Westmoreland. The final track “Could I?,” which also features singer songwriter Lilly Miller, hits the all the Travelling Wilburys-type pleasure centers in my brain.



Feeble Little Horse - “Cradle”
I perennially underrate Feeble Little Horse, they’re responsible for some of the most irresistible indie rock of the 2020s. All three of their records are full of wild production and one million ideas, but when they slow it down, like they do on “Cradle,” it really crystalizes how good at this they are.


Sam and Louise Sullivan - “Down on Love”
Another killer dispatch from Philly’s Historic New Jersey Recordings (responsible for our likely AOTY, Star Moles’ Highway to Hell), brother and sister duo Sam and Louise Sullivan offer up a slice of easygoing Ram-core.



This is Lorelei - “Billy Came Back”
2026 is very obviously the year of This is Lorelei and that’s just fine with me. Thank you to Nate Amos for the awesome songs.



Slippers - “Reading Lucy’s Diary”
Slippers manages to cram a mind-melting number of hooks into 22 minutes on Slippers 08, another killer release from the folks at Perennial Records, who are behind some of the coolest indie rock happening these days.



Frances Chang - “Is affect real?”
Every new Frances Chang single gets me more excited for her new LP, been thinking bout confession, out later this month.


Ultra Lights - “Good Enough”
A lot of people will say bands sound like The Strokes and most of the time I don’t really know what they mean other than they're a band with guitars, drums, and a guy doing just an ok job at singing but I’m confident in describing Ultra Lights as The Strokes if they grew up going to house shows instead of boarding school.


Full June playlist embedded below, more to come soon!