Tuesday, August 18, 2026

July 2026 (part 1)

The flow of cool new songs doesn't stop and neither do the blog posts. Here are eight songs, mostly new ones but also one very old one, that I listened to in July and thought were good.

Trinity Ace - “Martyr”
I really like this track from Trinity Ace’s incredibly titled LP Learning to Be a Cowboy on the Horse That Broke My Arm, it reminds of 20 years ago when everything was “chamber pop” with “lush instrumentation.”
 


Windy & Carl with Optigan Conservatory - “Alvin Loving”
The first look at Windy & Carl’s new collaboration with electroacoustic duo Optigan Conservatory is nine minutes of smoky, slow moving ambience that has me intrigued to hear more.


Jon McKiel - “Rosemary”
Jon McKiel’s charming, sample-heavy indie folk breakthrough Bobby Joe Hope was a constant companion during the madness of summer 2020, a time when there wasn’t much to feel excited about. I’ve been a fan ever since, with “Rosemary” the first thing we’ve heard from him since 2024’s underrated Hex. His latest LP, Gold Horatio, is out next month and I think you should plan on checking it out!



Lapgan - “Holy (Mera Bhai Remix)”
Chicago-based producer Lapgan makes really awesome electronic music built out of samples excavated from obscure Pakistani and Indian recordings. To celebrate the fifth anniversary of Duniya Kya Hai, one of his most formative releases, he released a remix EP featuring fresh takes on some of that record’s standout tracks. My favorite of the bunch is Londoner Mera Bhai’s anthemic, extremely funky remix of “Holy.”



Aisha Vaughan - “Cascade”
One thing I’m gonna do is check out pretty much anything Leaving Records puts out. They’re a reliable source for some of the best new age-y, vibe forward ambient/experimental stuff happening around the world. That’s how I found out about the new Aisha Vaughan record, which really leans into the Pure Moods of it all.



Sofie Birch - “Miarai”
There’s so much to love on the new Sofie Birch record, a wide-ranging collection of bossa nova influenced ambient folk tracks, an amalgamation of influences and sounds that’s really right over home plate for me.


Iggy Pop - “Mass Production”
It had been a while since I listened to The Idiot, despite it being undoubtedly one of my favorite things Iggy Pop was ever involved in. I was listening to the bleak, relentless “Mass Production” and thinking about seeing him perform it live here in Chicago last year. It was so imposing and heavy, I remember being totally overwhelmed during the song’s extended climax, full of gratitude for the chance to see one of the greats perform one of his most gripping and brutal songs.



Mary Lattimore - “We Take Turns Crying”
“We Take Turns Crying” is the reliably great Mary Lattimore’s contribution to the new compilation Eleven Harps. Curated by Paris-based indie label Latency, the record collects new solo compositions for the harp from musicians working across a variety of genres and locations around the globe. The only other name I’m familiar with on the list of contributors is Nailah Hunter, so I’m eager to dig into the rest of the roster here!

Full July playlist is embedded below, check back for thoughts on the rest of the playlist soon!